A new way to look at the American with Disabilities Act (ADA); Does it provide adequate accessibility for the aging population?
My original topic was to revolve around some aspect of designing environments for the aging. This is a very broad topic needing input to narrow the subject to something that could be written about without killing a forest of trees. One consideration was how design can impact seniors in their day to day lives, which building design types are preferred in different parts of the country and how these building designs are changing as the baby boomers start to become a driving force in the industry.
The topic that seems to be lending itself well to this assignment would be a discussion around the American with Disabilities Act (ADA and ICC/ANSI A117.1) and the fact that this information was to enhance the use of facilities by those with disabilities. The ADA needs to be reviewed and revised because it does not address some of the access needs of the aging population.
I could outline the history of the ADA and why it came into being. I could point out the shortcomings of the ADA and how it is actually hindering access in some instances for the aging population. I could document on the different issues and make a case that the ADA (ICC/ANSI A117.1) does not always meet the needs of the people in which it was intended to serve. There are probably quite a few articles which discuss this issue. I have also had first hand experience in dealing with a couple of these issues and how they were addressed.
During our last Theory Class we commented each others topics and then went around the room with items that we had learned from or not thought of in the past. I did not have any comments which fell into that category. I did have a couple that asked “why is this important” and “is this a new way to warehouse old people.” A secondary motive of this paper would be to start making people aware of the issues of the aging. The odds of all of us being in one of these environments are increasing every day.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
This is a common, perhaps inevitable, difficulty with public policy; as it enhances our response to some things, it hinders our response to others. It's laden with values. So, although the code provides you with a certain baseline, are there ways to go beyond it that allow you to be more generous to a larger proportion of the population? As a friend of mine says, "Meeting the building code is just one step ahead of going to jail." The whole concept of "meeting the codes" is meager, addressing a minimum but not a maximum. So strengthening or revising the ADA might be the wrong approach -- we might instead acknowledge it and then wave at it in the rear-view mirror as we move on to humane responses to unique circumstances.
Herb
Thanks for the comments! You were able to summarize what my thoughts have been regarding this subject. I have done exactly what you have described "acknowledge it and then wave at it in the rear-view mirror as we move on to humane responses to unique circumstances."
Thanks for the insight.
After spending a few weeks in a wheelchair this summer, I have a new found appreciation for the ADA. It barely meets the needs. There were many public restrooms boasting a handicapped stall that was in no way very accessible. The code is such a minimum standard and hopefully as a more influential population ages, they will be able to create better standards. The other aspect that is difficult to address is buildings that are grandfathered in. I was not able to go to my favorite restaurant or get a pedicure while facing limited mobility and was frustrated with the inaccessibility of my everyday stores. Are you looking into any suggestions for requiring more compliance in these grandfathered in establishments?
Like Herb said revising the ADA might not solve the issue. Although addressing the ADA would be a start it would be nice to explore maybe getting rid off it all and incorporating a whole new code section into the IBC. It always make me mad that you have to go back and forth between different books intead of simplifying everything into one simple compilation.
There is a comparable code for Children's ADA, we came across this in school design for kindergarten classrooms for blind students. I don't know the specific ANSI reference number, but it could be a starting point to contrast the proposed ADA elderly document.
On a facetious side note, I once considered a theoretical project to bring "great buildings throughout the ages" up to code / ADA accessibility.
What would happen if we tried to bring La Scala Regia at the Vatican up to code, by providing even stair risers?
What would happen if the Laurentian Library had to have ramps & Wheelchair radii?
Why not put a drop ceiling in the Pantheon (for energy and sound efficiency).
One of the drawbacks of any ADA legislation, is that it can be over -regulated and cause the character of place to be detrementially affected.
This is an interesting topic you have chosen Scott. I have often thought and that elderly that are not "disabled" should have ADA amenities. Some elderly are too proud for a handicapped license plate or state aid. I know my grandmother was. I get frustrated when I see an elderly person walking with a walker from the end of the parking strip because of lack of closer open parking spaces. Then they have to walk around the store. This might not have anything to do with your project but this was what came to mind when I was reading your blog.
I also was wondering if you were changing the ADA for just the elderly? What about the expecting mothers? Do you know how hard it is to waddle at nine months in the blistering heat with swollen ankles? That is why I only did it once.
Post a Comment